Chilied Pot Roast
Recipe By: Nuevo Tex-Mex
Serving Size: 6
- 4 pounds 7-bone chuck roast
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper, fresh ground
- 2 cloves, garlic, slivered
- 2 Tablespoon oil
- 2 whole onions coarsely chopped
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 2 whole ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 2 whole pasilla chilies, stemmed and seeded
Season the roast with the salt and pepper. Pierce with knife and insert garlic slivers. In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over high heat. Brown the roast for 3 minutes on a side, then add the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the stock, tomato sauce, oregano and cumin. Reduce the heat to low.
Put the ancho and pasilla chiles in the braising liquid and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, or until soft. Remove the chiles and 1 cup of liquid and transfer to a blender or food processor. Purée and return to the pot. Cover and cook over low heat for 3-4 hours or until meat falls off the bone and shreds easily with a fork.
Designed to be served as pot roast tacos, served with warm flour tortillas.
Orignially posted: 2011-07-02
Last updated: 2012-06-26 16:35